Holly Quick Backlist Reviews, Bookman!: Week 59

Just to get through some backlog of books I've read, I'll post 4 super short reviews of backlist titles every Wednesday. 

  1. Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon (Author), Brett Matthews (Author), Scott Allie (Editor), Will Conrad (Artist), and Laura Martin (Artist) (Dark Horse Comics, 2006): So good to read Firefly stuff again. 5 stars.
  2. Stardust by Neil Gaiman (DC Comics, 1999): Overall, not my favorite Neil Gaiman. I feel like I missed out on when the main couple really fell in love. But it was an enjoyable romp through a fairy land so I'm not complaining that much. 4 stars.
  3. An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz (Beacon Press, 2014): Wow. I like to think of myself as a fairly informed person, especially when it comes to history, but I was absolutely shocked and appalled at how little I'd been taught or even heard about. I would say it's a must-read. Be warned though, it is fairly dense. Overall, it was well written and eye-opening, but I do wish it was a bit more accessible (perhaps even including maps, it was hard to keep a lot of the regions straight at once) especially because I think the content is so important. 5 stars.
  4. In the Woods by Tana French (Viking Adult, 2007): A very good mystery novel. I, almost literally, couldn't put it down. I was nervous at first because the intro was super wordy, but that faded into simply excellent and engaging writing. The ending was sadder than I would've liked, but it was well done. Although one mystery remained unsolved, but I suppose that was the point. 5 stars.

Comments

Popular Posts