Holly Quick Backlist Reviews, Bookman!: Week 55

Just to get through some backlog of books I've read, I'll post 4 super short reviews of backlist titles every Wednesday. 

  1. The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Computer by Sydney Padua (Pantheon, 2015) I like the idea, but somehow it didn't quite work for me. Maybe I needed to be more into the history of mathematics and computers. 3 stars.
  2. Ouran High School Host Club, Volumes 1-7 by Bisco Hatori (VIZ Media LLC, 2005) Utterly ridiculous and delightful. 5 stars.
  3. The Worst Princess by Anna Kemp (Random House Books for Young Readers, 2014) Quite fun. 5 stars.
  4. How to Train Your Dragon, Book 1 by Cressida Cowell (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2004): I have to say, I don't recommend. For one thing, there are almost no women. Every character is a guy (at one point we see a group of large women gossiping and that's it). For another, Toothless is a total jerk and, probably most importantly, no character has depth. However, at one point you see the book that they get called How to Train Your Dragon and scribbled on it is "Beowulf is a softy" and that definitely wins it some points. 3 stars.

Comments

Popular Posts