Holly Quick Backlist Reviews, Bookman!: Week 54

Just to get through some backlog of books I've read, I'll post 4 super short reviews of backlist titles every Wednesday. 

  1. Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGurie (Daw Books, 2009): Pretty fun. I liked the complex faerie world and the female knight/private investigator thing. I know it's part of a series, but there were times when I wish I'd gotten a bit more of the various stories that were hinted at. 4 stars.
  2. Simpsons Comics #217 by Matt Groening: Quite fun. Turns out Gil is allergic to success, Homer can accidentally make a super vacuum that is harmful to the environment, Willie is actually super smart, and the school hamster is smarter than you think. 4 stars.
  3. The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America by Thomas King (Univ Of Minnesota Press, 2013): I highly recommend. While told in a pretty personable way, it covers quite a bit of the history of the US and Canada and manages to inject moments of humor. I liked how it was very much the author talking to the reader and while touching on history, wasn't trying to tell a comprehensive, definitive history. 5 stars.
  4. Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman (William Morrow, 2015): Mixed bag. 3 stars.



Comments

Popular Posts