Book series to TV show, 24: Arden High
Every four weeks, I will be writing about a book series that I think could make a great TV show.
The creative team of Molly Horton Booth, Stephanie Kate Strohm, and Jamie Green have taken (so far) two Shakespearean classics (Twelfth Night and King Lear), thrown the characters in high school, added whimsical elements all their own, and ramped up the queer representation. Altogether, the two books in the Arden High series are a fun teen drama romp with famous literary inspirations. If you want to read my review of Twelfth Grade Night and/or King Cheer, please do so!
Shakespearean adaptations are, of course, nothing new. However, there is a reason they keep being done--they're fun (and public domain is the best thing to retell)! Booth, Strohm, and Green have produced one of my favorite renditions (some people would pick Clueless or 10 Things I Hate About You, but I actually don't like those--a story for another time). While it's been a while since I've been in high school, I think the drama and misunderstanding elements make so much more sense with high school-aged characters. And I'm always all for adding in more magical and queer elements to classics.
I think this could be a hit new teen drama--all though it will require Booth, Strohm, and Green to write more books--with one book being used per season. The show should star young actors who don't take the material too seriously, a creative costuming team, and fast-acting original authorial team. All said though, I think it can be done!
Arden High by Molly Horton Booth, Stephanie Kate Strohm, and Jamie Green, Disney Hyperion


Comments
Post a Comment