Book to movie, 23: The Wish

Every four weeks, I will be writing about a book that I think could make a great movie.

If you haven't read my review of The Wish by Gail Carson Levine, you should. If you haven't, The Wish is a story of an unpopular girl, Wilma, making a wish to be the most popular girl at her school. While things go well at first, she quickly realizes the terms of this wish.

The Wish was published in 2000 and written by beloved author of Ella Enchanted Gail Carson Levine. The nostalgia for this era and this tone of tale is al abuzz at the moment. While The Wish was not as well-known as Ella Enchanted, it still has powerful messages for tween girls and the inner tween girls that still live inside us millennials.

I could see this book either being set in the time it was written, but I could also see this getting a modern update. I would prefer the former, but I will defer to Levine what would serve her audience best. But I think either way this story wouldn't require an especially large budget, but perhaps the budget could go towards securing the best actor to portray Wilma.

I would delight in seeing this nostalgic favorite on the screen.

The Wish by Gail Carson Levine, HarperCollins


Comments

Popular Posts