Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (Author) and Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)

I have fond memories of Love You Forever (which are likely enhanced by its mention on an episode of Friends). It's a sweet recitation of a parent's never-ending love for their child and how that child will grow to learn how to fully return that love.

I will say, however, that rereading it as an adult, there are a few lines that hit me fairly oddly. The one that stands out most in my mind is when the mother is crawling across the floor to her child's bed to peek and see if the child was truly asleep. I get that parents do not want to a wake a child who has--finally--fallen asleep, but crawling just gives me a creepy image (tiptoeing would've been better).

Despite that uncomfortable prose, the overall message and words of Love You Forever by Robert Munsch are so touching and have stayed with children (who are now adults, sometimes with their own children) for decades. Sheila McGraw's art also complements this soothing and lovely picture book.

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (Author) and Sheila McGraw (Illustrator), Firefly Books


Comments

Popular Posts