Holly Quick Backlist Reviews, Bookman!: Week 47

Just to get through some backlog of books I've read, I'll post 4 super short reviews of backlist titles every Wednesday.

  1. 1984 by George Orwell (Secker & Warburg, 1949): Definitely interesting and had some cool parts. But, like with many classic novels, I've liked other stuff better. 4 stars.
  2. Dracula by Bram Stoker (Archibald Constable and Company, 1897): Parts of this were amazing and it reminded me of one of the aspects of vampire lore that I love (the not being in mirrors). But the pacing was weird and some scenes should've been cut. 4 stars.
  3. What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe (Dey Street Books, 2014): Super fun book. Fans of xkcd should read. I wish I hadn't read it straight through as it's a bit more of a coffee table book. But it's very funny and, at times, very interesting. 5 stars.
  4. The Golden Compass Graphic Novel, Volume 1 by Philip Pullman (Knopf Books for Young Readers, 2015): I was a bit disappointed honestly. I wanted epic art and while the art wasn't bad, it was not what I craved. The pacing felt a bit odd too. 3 stars.


Comments

Popular Posts