Book series to TV show, 25: The Millicent Quibb School of Etiquette for Young Ladies of Mad Science

Every four weeks, I will be writing about a book series that I think could make a great TV show. 

If you haven't read my reviews of The Millicent Quibb School of Etiquette for Young Ladies of Mad Science (first book in the series) and/or Secrets of the Purple Pearl (second book in the series), you should! Quick note that I haven't read the third book in the series.

In short, Kat McKinnon's The Millicent Quibb School of Etiquette for Young Ladies of Mad Science series is a middle-grade science fiction series featuring an allegedly "mad scientist" named Millicent Quibb. However, the true stars of the series are the three Porch sisters (Gertrude, Eugenia, and Dee-Dee). The sisters do not fit in with their aunt and uncle nor anyone else in the stuffy town of Antiquarium. After multiple expulsions from rigid etiquette schools, Gertrude, Eugenia, and Dee-Dee receive a mysterious invitation to another. There, they meet Millicent and her mentoring of them--and their adventures to rescue the town and, indeed, the world from the evil mad scientist organization known as the Krenetics Research Association (KRA).

This quirky, funny, and, at times, aspirational series would make a great children's show. Of course, you'd want McKinnon herself to voice Millicent (I think the art by Alfredo Caceres must be used in the series and thus it'd be an animated series--though, perhaps, color could be added), but the sisters could get new voice actors (I believe McKinnon voices all 3 or perhaps someone else does in the audiobook versions). I imagine each book as a season with multiple short episodes to convey the full story of each novel.

Because of McKinnon's series offering a space for those who feel out of place, those who wonder at the world, and those who know deep bonds do not have to come blood, I think it could resonate with a lot of kids (and some adults). Additionally, because McKinnon is a known name, I could imagine that helping with marketing.

The Millicent Quibb School of Etiquette for Young Ladies of Mad Science series by Kate McKinnon, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers


Comments

Popular Posts